Saturday, January 2, 2010

I received an email from my mother in law tonight.  It was entitled "The Charlie Schulz Philosophy".  For those of you who don't know, that is the man who created the "Peanuts" comic strip (as I did not, before I received the email.)

The first part of the email asked the reader to name the five wealthiest people in the world; the last five Heisman trophy winners; the last five winners of the Miss America pagaent; ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize; the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor or actress and the last decade's worth of World Series winners. 

I couldn't name more than one or two in most of the categories.  And I couldn't name ANY in others.

Then the email asked its readers to name a few teachers who aided you on your journey through school; three friends who helped you through a difficult time; five people who have taught you something worthwhile; a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special and finally five people you enjoy spending time with.

The point of the email of course is to point out that no one remembers those things that the world places such great emphasis on.  But those people in our lives, who do the little things for you, with you; those who spend the time to focus on you when the rest of the world is passing you by; those are the people that matter.

And really.  It's true. I do remember my teachers, my friends, my family...the people who have made an impact on my life.

And so...being just very recently inspired by the movie Julie & Julia...I've decided to blog about each of these categories.  Starting Monday.  Every Monday for 5 weeks.

Because they really are the people that deserve to be remembered.

No comments: