Monday, January 4, 2010

Teachers.

Some of my most favourite people are teachers.
Some of my most favourite people have been my teachers.

I can honestly say that I have been profoundly affected by several teachers.

Grade 11 English.  Mr. Smart.  In a year that was particularly hard, he gave me an outlet, a safe place to share my opinions and confidence.  He inspired me to just be myself.  And I didn't want to be me for a long time before that.  He passed on last year, but he will always hold a part of my heart.

Grade 1 Language Arts. Mrs. Shute.  We used to have to write in these little journals saying what we did over the weekend.  I could never finish my sentence in the time alloted (partially because I was too busy talking to my friend Kellee) but she ALWAYS knew what I was going to say. I ran into her last year at Costco.  She knew who I was. Still made me feel special.

Grade 11 Physics.  Mr. Friesen.  Physics was (and remains to this day) my favourite subject, and it's all because of him.  He made it fun and easy to learn.  But most of all, he was accessible.  That meant the most to me.  He always had time for questions and explaining.  As an adult, I started attending the same church as him, and he is now a friend of mine!

And finally. Mr. Crosson.  He taught me gym in junior high.  He has had the most impact on my life. He helped to make me into the person I am today. 

I've been sitting here for 15 minutes on this last one.  I can't even put into words how he has affected me.  I kept in touch with him after I left the school that he taught at.  I invited him to come to my baptism, and he came.  It meant a lot to me, seeing as I hadn't seen him in over a year.   I kept in touch with him after I moved to Nova Scotia and back here to Winnipeg.  He's offered advice and guidance when I needed it the most, and in a way that was neither condescending nor pushy.  He's helped me gain perspective on so many things and to this day sends me an e-card on any and every holiday.  He has become a dear friend, and I am grateful that he is in my life.

I appreciate you Brent.  Thank you for taking the time to make a difference in my life.

1 comment:

valerie said...

What a beautiful post. My hope is that one day I can be a teacher that my students write about in this way :)