Tuesday, November 30, 2010


Have you ever had one of those days, where you're just sooooo glad to be home and SITTING for the first time that day?  Only to have something interrupt that fantastic "I'm finally sitting" feeling?

Friday was one of those days for me.  (And, were Helmut actually reading this, I know he would put up his hand, and say, "And for ME!" )

I had spent the majority of the day at our church, doing some photocopying/prep work for our family advent time on Sunday morning.  (The kids didn't have school, which is why I didn't have work, but my in-laws took them for the day, they were having a special Christmas day).  Then I ran a couple errands, and by the time I got home it was, oh, 5:30 ish. 

We decided to give the boys their shower before dinner, and, just after I'd got the water running for them, I heard a little scream.  I pulled the shower curtain back, to see a stream of blood coming from Declan's eye.  Khai and Declan had decided to switch spots in the shower, and Declan had slipped and hit his eye on the edge of the tub.

Don't you love the Blackberry photo?

You'll notice that he has a bump on his lip (from running into a post at school); a cut by the arm of his glasses, as well as a mark under the bottom edge of the frame (from tripping and falling on the floor at school) and he managed to do that ALL IN THE SAME DAY!

Anyway, so, we go to the hospital (the 4 of us) and 3 hours and 15 minutes, and 5 stitches later, we left for home. 

Yes, I know this picture totally sucks.  Good old Blackberry again!

My poor little Dekkie!  But, he was a trooper.  Considering he hadn't eaten since lunch and it was 2 hours past his bedtime when they started doing the stitches, I thought he behaved quite well. 

I will never forget, that while they had the sterile cloth over his face, that he kept saying ,"Help me Mummy!" and "See me Mummy!" (because he couldn't see me with the cloth over his face).  He also said (repeatedly), "All done now.  DONE NOW!".  I love that he was able to at least communicate with me during this ordeal.  It would have been much worse if he had just been lying there crying, and I hadn't known that he wanted me to peek under the cloth and "see him". 

Just for the record, I cried too. 

We are so thankful that Declan is okay.  And that we didn't have to spend all night in the emergency room.  We are also thankful, that once we got home that evening, and the kids were in bed, that we didn't do a thing.

It was lovely.

No comments: