Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 10th, 2010

This year, I have felt particularly cut off from the kids school.  With me going back to work, I have felt very isolated and, among other issues, have felt as though the fantastic connection that I had with the school last year, has been lost.  I have been feeling very frustrated and I miss being involved in the classroom a lot.  But, even though I haven't been in the classroom yet, not even once, I was able to make (with the kids help) some handmade teachers and students gifts for Khai and Declan's teachers and classmates.

First step, clean off your table.  Today, I had a little helper.  I use the word helper very loosely, because I had to wash the whole thing all over again once he was done, but, at least he had fun!  (I love that he has a helpful spirit.  It always makes my heart swell when the kids are helpful.  Like, one day, I came out to the van and Brett had cleaned the whole thing off for me.  *sigh*  So sweet.)


Then, get some cinnamon.  LOTS of cinnamon.  Like, I bought 2 huge things from Superstore and I have only a tiny bit left.  Dump some into a large bowl.  Add applesauce until it makes a dough type consistency.  I realize ratios here would be nice, but it really depends on the applesauce and how moist it is.  I used 2 different kinds of applesauce and it took different amounts of cinnamon to make it the right consistency. 



Once you are done mixing, dust your workspace (and your rolling pin) generously with more cinnamon.  Roll out your "dough" to desired thickness (I found that I liked the thicker ones much much better, but they take considerably longer to bake) and cut out with your favourite cookie cutters. 

Use a straw or something else that is similarly sized (and clean) to make holes so that you can hang them later. 

Place on foil, wax paper or parchment paper on cookie sheets.



Bake at 250 degrees F for an hour.  I actually did mine for a bit longer, because they were still quite damp when I took them out after an hour.  I also waited until they were quite cool until I removed them from the foil.



String a ribbon through the hole and tie a pretty tag to it! I am also including a note that says that it isn't a cookie as I'm giving them to both 2-5 year olds and 6-7 year olds. 

Each kid in Khai and Declan's classes are getting one ornament, and the teachers will each get a set of 4.  A super fun activity to do with the kids, plus, it's easy on your budget!

No comments: